After careful testing by more adventurous volunteers, we now believe that the major overhaul of the Python Lobby Client has been vetted enough to be ready for a real public test.
Please be aware that this is still a test release and breakage is expected, including of the updater. If you are not comfortable with manually updating/reinstalling your client in case of problems, do not install this update.
With that out of the way, if you have been running 0.13.2, this client release brings a huge amount of improvements and bugfixes. Here is a list of just some of them:
- Fix map names being displayed wrong in host window for a modded game (#786, #787)
- Fix and add observer in tooltip for hosted games (#711)
- Fix “in game” icons next to chatters not showing at client launch (#791, #792)
- Fix join hosted game from chat user (#796)
- Fix regression – map and mod previews not downloading correctly (#804, #805)
- Rework client updater (#671, #672)
- Fix mods selected in game host window not remembered properly (#840, #841)
- Slightly decrease dependency of tabs on client class (#644)
- Clean up theme-specific util code (#663, #664)
- Add Friend/Foe feature for IRC users (#609, #657)
- Replace game quality in the play tab (NOT in the lobby) by average rating (#687, #688)
You can find the full changelog at the Github Release page. You can download the client installer directly from there as well.
- FAF has not officially supported Windows XP for a while, and this client release does not work with Windows XP.
- If you took part in the earlier public testing call you need to revert your changes now and then enable downgrading in the updater settings to get to the release version.
If you have any problems, you can revert back to client version 0.13.2 by downloading and running the old installer.
Update: Due to an issue while preparing the release, you may have gotten version 0.15.1 instead of 0.16.0. In this case, please refaf and you will be prompted for another upgrade that will take you to 0.16.0.
I’m after a team of developers who might be willing to dedicate some time to help with my ACU Skin Customisation idea. I’m after a few coders and graphics specialists (to design some fancy skins). I have everything planned out. If you’re interested in helping, you can PM me on FAF, Discord or the FAF Facebook page.
If this is the first time you have heard of the ACU Customisation idea, you can find out more on the FAF YouTube channel via the Developer Conferences. I hope some of you are interested and willing to help.
This is a bugfix update. Several small issues got solved including the new bug introduced by the latest game update where some missions didn’t expand (those with UEF ACU that had Nano upgrade).
Voice files for 4th UEF mission and Prothyon-16 were update as well.
You can find the full changelog for missions here: https://github.com/FAForever/faf-coop-maps/blob/master/changelog.md
and for the coop mod here: https://github.com/FAForever/fa-coop/blob/master/changelog.md
If you find any issues make sure to report them. Preferably on Github: https://github.com/FAForever/faf-coop-maps/issues or on the forums. (Don’t forget to include the game.log!!)
Coop Slack Channel
If anyone is intrested into making a new mission, improving the current ones or helping with voice overs, there’s a #coop channel on the FAF Slack. Slack is a tool that all FAF developers and contributors use to coordinate our efforts. For joining PM me (speed2) your e-mail adress either in the chat or on the forums and you will recieve an invitation.
The rewrite of the Aeon campaign is almost ready, might be released in a month.
While testing some things I got dragged into one of my new ideas for a mission and this is what came from it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxTSFuh634
It is with great pleasure I can announce a new game version, and I’m confident it’s going to be one of our best. In addition to this version, updates for COOP, Nomads, and BlackOps are either being released simultaneously, or very shortly, and there’s a new version of EcoManager (V11) up on the vault with lots of dead code cut out.
Highlights of the new patch include:
– Integrated Notify!!!
– Reworked unit formations to be more sensible
– Full UTF character support
And many more. Full changelog can be found here
a big update of the Python Lobby Client is coming up. In addition to a multitude of bugfixes and improvements, we have made two big technical changes:
- Switching the client’s underlying framework from Python2.7/PyQT4.8 to Python3.5/PyQt5.9
- Redoing our release model and the client updater
As I wrote before, our release cycle will soon have three stages: Unstable (Beta) releases, Stable Preview releases, and Stable releases (you can find a thorough explanation in that article). To support that, the client updater had to be rewritten.
Because of the client updater rewrite, we need to be cautious and make sure there is ample testing of the updater – we’ve seen what happens when there is a bug in the updater – before releasing this update to all of FAF.
Please only apply the following instructions if you’re not scared of being a beta tester and all the potential inconveniences this brings – applying this change is not mandatory to keep playing FAF.
Therefore, here is what you should do to get the newest version of the Lobby Client:
- Make sure FAF is closed
- Find your “FA Lobby.ini” file – it should be in
- Double-Click the file to edit in Notepad (or use any text editor you like)
- Insert this into the file:
- Save and Close the File
- Start FAF
- You should be prompted to update – run the update and install it.
The effect of this change is that instead of using the main
FAForever/client repository to update, the updater will look in
Wesmania/client where Wesmania (Mazornoob) has been maintaining and releasing the Unstable branch and where he is now hosting the test releases.Please play around with the updater (there are a few versions released) and keep running this client branch until we make an announcement for the final release – there will be a few updates coming on this release branch to give you opportunities to test the new updater in action.
If you have any feedback or problems with this test release, please let me know using the forums: Feedback Thread
As always, you can also contact our moderator team with any problems you have at any time.
To revert back to the normal client version, you have to follow these steps:
- Delete the lines you added to your “FA Lobby.ini” file
- Reinstall the old client version from Github.
Many thanks to Mazornoob, who has done a huge amount of work on this, and Grothe, who contributed a number of improvements.