Times change and so does FAF. This is a call to all Java developers, who are hiding in the shadows and want to contribute but were not interested in contributing to the current stack of Python code.
We have a huge pile of new emerging Java projects, that look out for new developers and maintainers. So let me give you a small briefing about the projects:
- Galactic War backend server will be an integral component of our new GW reboot. Work has “just started” and there is still much to do.
- Core technologies: Spring Boot, Camunda BPM, Websockets / STOMP, Elide, JPA
- Interested? Join slack channel #galactic-war
- Java server is a reimplementation of the current Python lobby server. We hope to improve the development speed, deliver new metrics for our users and finally overwork the network protocol (while staying compatible to the old client protocol).
- Core technologies: Spring Boot, Spring Integration, JPA
- Interested? Join slack channel #java-server
- Java API is supposed to replace the current Python API eventually. The primary focus is to speed up API development for new functionalities, as no current developers wants to work on the Python API any further.
- Core technologies: Spring Boot, Elide, JPA
- Side note: There are also approaches to develop a Typescript-based API. We decided that both can coexist together.
- Interested? Join slack channel #java-api
- Downlord’s client is an alternative client to the classic python client. This is fancy frontend stuff using JavaFX. It’s already in a working state, but still has a lot of features waiting to be implemented.
- Interested? Join slack channel #java-client-dev
If you want to join us in Slack, please contact an administrator/moderator on the forums or in our in-client chat (white names at the top) so that we can invite you to our Slack project.
You can also join us on Discord.
We are waiting for you!
– Brutus5000, Dragonfire